How to Wear Your Academic Hood
We are here to help you put on the Doctoral Hood correctly so you’re looking your best on your big day!
- When putting on your hood, make sure the velvet side is showing, with the satin lining hidden.
- Place your palm under the section of the hood that lays on your neck, then carefully swing it over your head and on to your shoulders
- The hood should be worn draped around your neck and around your shoulders with the largest portion of the hood hanging down your back.
- The velvet border should be showing closer to your neck and on the top portion of the hood.
- To expose the lining of the hood, indicating your school colors, have a friend straighten the hood then fold the velvet portion at the bottom of the hood back.
- There is a cord on the back of the hood that should be fastened to the button adjacent to the cord, to prevent the hood from sliding off your shoulders.
- Lastly, for your comfort, fasten the cord on the front of the hood to the button inside the gown. The button is on your left side next to the zipper.